Thanks, Joseph. Sorry I forgot to give the specifics on my unit. I'm
using KeySoft 7.5, Build 28, with an mPower 32-cell BT.

    The seller did provide the info you mentioned, and transferred the
mPower and an SMA to my name. I'm just concerned about not having the system
disk, in case I should need to reinstall anything.

    The main part that is overheating is not the battery compartment, but
the adapter. So far, it is only happening when I exercise the braille
display, using Space-O with X. I have a couple of pins that don't quite come
up all the way, and was exercising the display, in the hope of not having to
send the mPower for service yet. The adapter was pretty hot, when I
unplugged it afterwards.

    I followed your instructions for determining the hardware revision, and
it is ce 2. Is it urgent to get the mother board replaced? Also, is there
anywhere I can look on the Humanware website to find out what the repair
would cost?

Thanks again,
Paula

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Joseph Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Paula and James Muysenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 8:34 PM
Subject: re: [Braillenote] New User, a couple of Questions


> Hi Paula,
> Welcome to the world of BrailleNote.  I hope you'll find your
> answers on this list.
> First off, I would like to inquire a few things: what version of
> KeySoft are you using? What kind of keyboard (either a braille or
> a computer keyboard) do you have? That'll allow "the experts" to
> picture your situation more precisely.  It is not mandatory -
> just a friendly request.
> 1.  In my opinion, the person who sobd the BrailleNote to you
> should have included a list of hardware and software that he or
> she is selling along with the unit, as well as details such as
> battery condition, SMA's and so forth.  I think the question of
> "missing software" is the one that I, you or any of us can
> determine - it is up to the seller to tell you what it is in
> there.  But I'm 90% confident that you have everything you need -
> Dictionary and Thesaurus, language modules, etc.  Probably the
> best thing for you to do is call HumanWare on Tuesday, explain
> your situation, give them the serial number of the unit and they
> should tell you what ajj-on software is installed.
> 2.  The issue of battery compartment overheating has been
> discussed on the list, but here is the general inference: there
> is a new motherboard version that fixes these defects.  From Main
> Menu, press SPACE with i (READ with i if you have the computer
> keyboard model), then press SPACE to go to hardware revision.  If
> it is c2, you need to have the motherboard updated; if it is
> c6ness, then you don't have to worry about it - this might
> indicate a faulty battery circuit.  Alternatively, when you feel
> that your BrailleNote feels somewhat warm, go to Options Menu
> (SPACE with o/FN plus ogg/Support Information Mode (SPACE with
> i/READ plus igg/Temperature (t!.  If it is greater than 40 dg
> Celcius (104 dg f), disconnect the charger for about ten minutes
> and reconnect it.  That should lower the temperature of the
> battery a bit (I need to learn more about thermodynamics in
> physics; I just learned about circuits and resistance).
> Hope this answers your questions.
> Cheers,
> Joseph P.S.  If you have any other questions, feel free to post
> them.
>
> > ----- Original Message -----
> >From: "Paula and James Muysenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >To: <[email protected]
> >Date sent: Fri, 23 May 2008 19:20:41 -0500
> >Subject: [Braillenote] New User, a couple of Questions
>
> >    I recently purchased a used mPower.  It seems to be in fine
> condition,
> >but the seller did not have the system disk anymore.  As far as I
> can tell,
> >all the software that should be on the unit is there, but how do
> I determine
> >whether I am missing anything? The original owner called
> Humanware and
> >transfered ownership to my name.
>
> >    Also, I exercised the braille display, per the instructions
> posted to
> >this list yesterday.  I noticed that after the suggested 30
> minutes, the
> >adapter was really hot.  Is that normal, or could that indicate a
> problem?
>
> >Thanks,
> >Paula Muysenberg
>
>
> >___
> >Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
> >If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
> >copy to the list as well.
>
> >To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
> >http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote
>
> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
signature database 3128 (20080523) __________
>
> The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>
> http://www.eset.com
>
>


___
Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
copy to the list as well.

To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote

Reply via email to