Thanks. I knew I had to get some kind of card, but I didn't know if I could purchase it and then plug into my hosts' network or whatever, so thought I'd ask. <smile> I'm thinking of switching to AT&T, and someone told me they didn't have dial-up, which would mean that I'd have to figure out how to connect to my family's comcast connection. I don't know if an Ethernet card would let me do that or not, so thought I'd ask. <smile>

Peggy <trying to figure out options>
http://kernsac.livejournal.com/
----- Original Message ----- From: "Alex Hall" <[email protected]>
To: "Peggy Kern" <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:20 PM
Subject: re: [Braillenote] I want to learn more about LAN connections


You can use the connection of the people you are visiting, though you cannot just plug into the bn directly; you must first purchase a LAN card from Humanware, though I cannot remember the model number. Most dsl providers can give you some hours of dialup per month for cases just as you described, though this will vary from provider to provider. HTH, and let me know if you would like more information on anything; this response seems rather short compared to your message, and I cannot help but feel that I forgot something.

Have a great day,
Alex

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peggy Kern" <[email protected]
To: "Braillenote" <[email protected]
Date sent: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 19:07:24 -0700
Subject: [Braillenote] I want to learn more about LAN connections

Hi, all.  I'm thinking of changing providers, and am trying to
figure out
what will be the best for us.

Right now I have Earthlink as my provider, and like them because
they have
dial-up, which I can use when away from home and at a place where
I can't
get a wireless connection.  But do to some dissatisfaction with
Earthlink's
technical support, I'm considering looking for a different
provider for my
DSL.  I'm considering going with AT&T, which I've heard works
well with the
BrailleNote.  But I'm trying to figure out what to do when away
from home.
I could keep Earthlink as a dial-up, and just use a dial-up
number when away
from home.  But then I'm paying for dial-up while home and not
needing it.
I do have a data plan on my cell phone, so I could get rid of
Earthlink and
just use the data plan, but the bluetooth with my BrailleNote and
my 6620
doesn't always seem stable, especially when I want to go on the
web.
Usually my vacations are in Portland, where most people I visit
have
Comcast.  If I got some kind of LAN plug, could I plug the plug
into the
family's computer and the other end into the BrailleNote, and
connect that
way?  I usually just use dial-up, because there are no wireless
connections
picked up by the BrailleNote in the areas where I'm staying.  So
with my
limited knowledge, dial-up seems to be my only option when away
from home
and unable to get a wireless connection.  But if I can get a LAN
thing going
and get rid of Earthlink dial-up altogether, that might be
another option.
But I know nothing about LAN or how it works, or what I'd need to
do or
where I'd need to plug in to use a LAN connection.  Does anyone
have any
thoughts or suggestions I might not have considered yet?

Peggy
http://kernsac.livejournal.com/


__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of
virus signature database 4175 (20090621) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com




___
Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
copy to the list as well.

To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
[email protected]
To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote


__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4175 (20090621) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com





__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature 
database 4175 (20090621) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com




___
Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
copy to the list as well.

To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
[email protected]
To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote

Reply via email to