Hi,
I know the hw execs are aware of what companies like gw micro are doing. And
it seems that good business sense and good customer relations would give
them reason to take a hard look without users having to say anything.
But that being said, I know there are some humaware dealers and execs who
look at the list. Sometimes I do see posts from Maurice. The other thought I
have is that perhaps those of us who use hw products should send an e-mail
to [email protected]. I think as I was listening to the presentation
last night, hw staff constantly told people to write to the support list
with problems or suggestions or whatever. 
So, some kind of payment plan in the u.s. or wherever could be suggested. I
don't know if other users from other countries face the same costs issues as
those of us in the states. But if you do, you can make this suggestion to hw
as well. For those of us who can get to conventions and shows, perhaps we
can talk to hw about coming up with a payment plan. Or perhaps we can ask
our advocates ACB OR nfb to stand behind such an idea as this is present in
the sighted mainstream market.

I know the rep in my area, and he is going to show me the apex tomorrow. And
while he can't do much about anything, maybe he will pass along my
suggestions, and the hw team will look at it.


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Evelyn Weckerly
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:59 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: FW: [Braillenote] customer viability in the faceofplanned
obsolescence

AHi,

GW Micro has a payment plan for Window Eyes. They control it though 
becaused it is software. If you can't make a payment, it reverts to 
demo mode until you resume payment.

The National Federation of the Blind has a low-interest loan program, 
3 percent.

Evelyn

t 02:20 PM 11/17/2009, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>     Well stated, Denise! I, too, have mentioned the issue of a lack of
>a payment plan. Here is what I think the problem Humanware might have
>with a payment plan is. $6100 is a lot! of money. I think the fear is
>that once a down payment is made and the apex is given to the party in
>question, who is to say that the payments will be made regularly? Here
>in New Jersey now, for example, you can't have an operation unless you
>pay in full. I think it's the same issue here.
>      The only way I could see a self-made payment plan being made is
>if the purchase was made with a hefty credit card, and that was paid
>off in installments. That's something many Americans, especially
>nowadays, can't really afford to do. I am proud of whatever assistive
>technology companies have payment plans, as they are probably
>attracting a large customer base because of it. As I've said numerous
>times before, state-funded agencies are not always going to foot the
>bill for our expenses, which is something I think many people,
>marketers and consumers alike, take for granted.
>      Were Humanware to make out some sort of payment plan, I think
>they would be better off. But as the fear of not having money
>increases, so does the will to be flexible, at least in my opinion.
>Even if there was a payment plan, I would imagine that the first down
>payment would be something like half the price. That is how many
>colleges work out their payment plans. The consequence for not paying
>up being that the student is de-registered from their classes and is
>unable to obtain credits for those classes until they pay their due.
>Unless there is some equivalent made in the case of Humanware's
>products, I don't see that happening. It's not like someone can come
>to your house and physically take back your apex if you don't continue
>paying. If I am totally off in thinking in this way, please do give me
>your thoughts and opinions, as I think this to be a likely reason why
>there is no payment plan. And if there is a way to calm Humanware's
>nerves about not receiving their money, I think it should be
>addressed. I'll stop rambling for now.
>
>     Kind regards,
>     Amanda
>
>On 11/17/09, denise avant <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I as many others had hoped humanware would hold the price down on any
new
> > notetaker, particularly since the stream whose price is affordable for
most
> > people has been wildly popular.
> > Humanware has stated that the apex though newer and sleaker with more
> > features is the same costs as an empower, and they were glad about being
> > able to do that.
> > It would be helpful if humanware had a payment plan as a couple 
> of assistive
> > technology companies are doing. That is how sighted people 
> generally pay for
> > large purchases like this one. given the economy in the u.s., many
> > households are trying to stay away from large purchases.
> > I wonder if State and federal agencies here in the u.s. are going to
> > purchase the devices for their customers given the tight budgets and
poor
> > econmy.
> > I also kind of liken this as a car that maybe you might have for so many
> > years. After a while, you can't get it serviced any more. And the
> > unfortunate reality is that At some point, you have to trade it in or
sell
> > it.
> >
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: [email protected]
> > [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
> > [email protected]
> > Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 9:42 PM
> > To: Keith Bundy; Rose Combs; 'Earlene Hughes';
> > [email protected]
> > Subject: Re: [Braillenote] customer viability in the faceofplanned
> > obsolescence
> >
> > Hi Keith and All,
> >
> > I must add my voice as well!  I purchased my BrailleNote in July 2003.
I
> > have been delighted with it, and like you, stuck up for it when other
blind
> > folks around me were bashing it for various reasons.  My sighted husband
is
> > a retired Elementary school music teacher, and we live on both his
> > retirement income and his Social Security.  We have all of the regular
> > expenses including rent, utilities, upkeep on our house and car, 
> and I could
> >
> > go on and on!  We aren't in the poor house, but neither do we have the
kind
> > of disposable income to support purchase of a new Apex!  I am a Total,
and
> > an avid Braille reader!  I can't begin to express my great joy at 
> becoming a
> >
> > BrailleNote owner and user!  No one assisted with my original
BrailleNote
> > purchase, or with the money we paid for the mPower transplant.  Or for
that
> > matter, for the service contracts and SMAs we have kept current.  I am
as
> > excited about the new Apex as anyone around, but honestly, there is no
> > possible way that I could or would prevail upon my husband's extreme
> > generosity to now pay $4,000 more to obtain one!  Especially after the
> > braille display fiasco!  I certainly don't expect Humanware to 
> give me a new
> >
> > Apex for free, but I think those of us who have been loyal customers for
so
> > long should be better rewarded than $2,200.00 off the full 
> purchase price of
> >
> > a new Apex, when my current unit will be obsolete before long!  How do I
> > know that even if I were to take the plunge and buy an Apex, I wouldn't
be
> > finding myself in a similar position a couple more years down the road?
I
> > am in the position of having to continue to use my mPower until it
> > absolutely doesn't work anymore, and at that time I guess I'll have to
go
> > without!  I'm sorry to those of you who don't want to hear complaining,
but
> > all I can figure is that many of you have agencies purchasing 
> your equipment
> >
> > for you, or there would be more of an uproar!  I don't post much 
> here, and I
> >
> > promise to go away now and not continue to spoil the party, but I just
felt
> > I had to speak out for those of us out here who have to purchase our
> > equipment on our own!  Sadly slinking away!
> >
> > Desi
> >
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Keith Bundy" <[email protected]>
> > To: "Rose Combs" <[email protected]>; "'Earlene Hughes'"
> > <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
> > Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 7:45 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Braillenote] customer viability in the faceofplanned
> > obsolescence
> >
> >
> >>I lurk about the list and seldom comment, but I must agree with these
> >>posts. I got my BrailleNote in December, 2000, and have recommended it
to
> >>many in our state.  I have also done quite a bit of training for
> >>Braillenote users.
> >>
> >> I had to replace a braille display and transplant to an mPower,
spending
> >> another three thousand dollars or more to keep my machine functional
and
> >> current.
> >>
> >> Now we're being told that the BN will soon be obsolete.  And, as a
working
> >
> >> individual who is blind and has a family to support, I cannot lay out
the
> >> $4,00 needed for an upgrade to the Apex.  As I have a good job, I
> >> seriously doubt whether I can get any assistance from rehab.
> >>
> >> I have always been a very strong supporter of Humanware and have
quietly
> >> supported them when others complained rather vociferously on this list.
> >> However, I am now beginning to question Humanware and its commitment to
> >> the braille users who have been loyal to them while using a great
product
> >> on the job.
> >>
> >> I suppose there isn't much we can do about this.  However, I think
> >> Humanware needs some grassroots customers on their team to help them to
> >> better relate to both the working and non-working general public who
are
> >> blind.
> >>
> >> Keith
> >>
> >>
> >> -----
> >> From: "Rose Combs" <[email protected]>
> >> To: "'Earlene Hughes'" <[email protected]>;
> >> <[email protected]>
> >> Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:10 AM
> >> Subject: RE: [Braillenote] customer viability in the face ofplanned
> >> obsolescence
> >>
> >>
> >>>I saw my first Braille Note in November 2000 and I went into debt to
> >>>assure
> >>> that I got one, it was wonderful, I used it every single day for years
> >>> and
> >>> until the past year or so never regretted the purchase.  However, when
I
> >>> too
> >>> was informed my transplant could not have a service agreement with no
> >>> notice, then informed I could upgrade but had to send the full
purchase
> >>> price and they would write me a check later, and then this last
upgrade
> >>> to 8
> >>> which offered me nothing I needed, because I don't want chat, would
look
> >>> for
> >>> a very small device to carry if I wanted GPS instead of a heavy
Braille
> >>> note, and the lack again of better Word support, I doubt I will be
buying
> >
> >>> an
> >>> Apex and it is sad because the vision Pulsedata brought to the
industry
> >>> was
> >>> so very good, what has happened over the past two years breaks my
heart.
> >>> Once the customer truly mattered, service was reasonable, now, we'll
just
> >>> look at this list and listen to people saying it takes 3-6 weeks for a
> >>> battery replacement, and you get the picture I am seeing.
> >>>
> >>> I am near tears because I truly did think Braille Note was the future
for
> >>> many blind people, I convinced friends to buy them, and I still use
mine
> >>> but
> >>> mostly now for reading and note taking that I don't have to show to
> >>> anyone
> >>> or that I can retype into Word where it formatted properly.  It takes
me
> >>> forever to fix a document that is in Word XP, 2003 or 2007 to be even
> >>> close
> >>> to usable so I avoid it whenever I can but so much learning is done
> >>> through
> >>> my fingers.  What was a wonderful product now meets only part of my
> >>> needs.
> >>>
> >>> Sad, Sad, and Sad.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Rose Combs
> >>> [email protected]
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> -----Original Message-----
> >>> From: [email protected]
> >>> [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Earlene
> >>> Hughes
> >>> Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:22 AM
> >>> To: [email protected]
> >>> Subject: RE: [Braillenote] customer viability in the face of planned
> >>> obsolescence
> >>>
> >>> I agree with the post below. I said I wouldn't purchase another
> >>> BrailleNote
> >>> when HW without notice, wouldn't renew my service contract for my
> >>> transplanted EmPower. But, I wanted Sendero's GPS, so I bought a PK. I
> >>> really like my PK, and I'm disappointed that there isn't going to be
an
> >>> upgrade plan for it. The reason I am posting my thoughts here, is not
to
> >>> complain; I hope someone from HW will read enough comments from some
of
> >>> us
> >>> and find some way to accommodate their whole customer base in their
> >>> business
> >>> model.
> >>>
> >>> Have a good day all.
> >>>
> >>> --Earlene
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> -----Original Message-----
> >>> From: [email protected]
> >>> [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Cheree
Heppe
> >>> Sent: Saturday, November 14, 2009 10:20 PM
> >>> To: [email protected]
> >>> Subject: [Braillenote] customer viability in the face of planned
> >>> obsolescence
> >>>
> >>> Cheree Heppe here:
> >>>
> >>> Listening to the ACB Radio presentation on the new Humanware product,
the
> >>> APEX, last night made me worry.
> >>>
> >>> The plan, as I understand it, is to offer two more upgrades, SMA's or
> >>> whatever they're supposed to be, for existing MPower and PK
Braillenote
> >>> devices.  After these two final SMA's, no more will be forthcoming and
> >>> these
> >>> MPower and PK devices will become legacy technology to force
transition
> >>> to,
> >>> and purchase of, the next generation.
> >>>
> >>> How long will it be until the next generation, multi-thousand dollar
> >>> productivity Braille input/output device with eight gigs of hard drive
> >>> and
> >>> no mention of improved Word support will also become obsolete?
> >>>
> >>> Forced obsolescence and similar tactics make me less and less willing
to
> >>> even try to acquire such devices.
> >>>
> >>> Those of us blind people who work find it hard enough to buy equipment
on
> >>> our own or leverage such purchases by jollying along our employers or
the
> >>> various rehab agencies with the latest benefits of the latest and
> >>> greatest.
> >>> They buy these because why?  Do they really think we are achieving
> >>> parity?
> >>>
> >>> And the ones who don't work because they can't leverage the
technology,
> >>> maybe, well, they don't count at all.
> >>>
> >>> Then, thousands of dollars and a learning curve or two later, maybe in
> >>> two
> >>> or three or four years, we go through the same song and dance, the
same
> >>> financial strictures to upgrade because our gadgetry is obsolete?
> >>>
> >>> Why not develop modular design to allow plug in upgrades of drives,
> >>> firmware
> >>> and other replaceables around a re-usable refreshable Braille matrix.
> >>> Would
> >>> a modular design, preserving a refreshable Braille display and machine
> >>> matrix as the base for changing firmware and such perhaps reduce the
cost
> >>> and increase the flexibility and longevity of these specialized
devices?
> >>>
> >>> We can chase Microsoft and computer design and have a hope of staying
> >>> current with it because the cost is low enough, tailored for the mass
> >>> market.
> >>>
> >>> Braille technology represents niche usage.  Most blind people willing
and
> >>> capable of using refreshable Braille should have the real choice to
use
> >>> this
> >>> valuable technology.
> >>>
> >>> What solution could be realistically sought to fit the expense and
usage
> >>> more closely to the user population?
> >>>
> >>> I use a PK and like it.  I don't wish to change.  I like the small,
quiet
> >>> Braille input keyboard and the PK's small size.  So, I'm going to be
> >>> using a
> >>> legacy Braille device before long, it seems.
> >>>
> >>> I can keep current with mainstream technology, but some must still
feel
> >>> that
> >>> our Braille is still second class.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Regards,
> >>> Cheree Heppe
> >>>
> >>> ___
> >>> Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
> >>> If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a copy to the
list
> >
> >>> as
> >>> well.
> >>>
> >>> To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
> >>> [email protected]
> >>> To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
> >>> http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> ___
> >>> Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
> >>> If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
> >>> copy to the list as well.
> >>>
> >>> To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
> >>> [email protected]
> >>> To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
> >>> http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> ___
> >>> Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
> >>> If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
> >>> copy to the list as well.
> >>>
> >>> To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
> >>> [email protected]
> >>> To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
> >>> http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >> ___
> >> Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
> >> If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
> >> copy to the list as well.
> >>
> >> To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
> >> [email protected]
> >> To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
> >> http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> > ___
> > Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
> > If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
> > copy to the list as well.
> >
> > To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
> > [email protected]
> > To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
> > http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote
> >
> >
> > ___
> > Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
> > If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
> > copy to the list as well.
> >
> > To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
> > [email protected]
> > To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
> > http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote
> >
> >
>
>
>--
>Amanda Christine Chokov
>
>___
>Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
>If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
>copy to the list as well.
>
>To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
>[email protected]
>To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
>http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote
___
Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
copy to the list as well.

To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
[email protected]
To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote


___
Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
copy to the list as well.

To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
[email protected]
To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote

Reply via email to