Hi Robin,

I love pumpernickel bread but it never crossed my mind that to make it myself.
Might give it a try myself now that there are so many recipes on offer.

I've found one that looks good but as I've never made it, no idea of the color,
It has buckwheat flour and dark rye flour which might make it darker and could
leave out the cocoa.
For what it's worth here is the recipe and hope it helps:

Pumpernickel Bread from Laurel's Kitchen 1976

2Tbsp   active dry yeast  1 Tbsp brown sugar    5 cups warm water
6-7 cups whole wheat flour      1 cup dark rye flour    2/3 cups buckwheat
flour  1/3 cup corn meal  4 tsp salt 2/3 cups cooked soy meal

Prepare dough from the 1st 4 ingredients using just 6 cups of flour.
Sprinkle sugar and yeast on the warm water. When it starts bubbling, stir in
half of the whole wheat flour and beat very well until the dough ceases to be
grainy and becomes smooth and stretchy. Add the salt and the remaining and
other flours/meals and mix together.
Knead, push and fold until the dough is soft and springy to touch, and return
it to the bowl.
If necessary, you can add the 7th cup of flour. Cover snuggly, allowing it to
double in bulk.
Cut in two and place in loaf pans/cans and let rise once more until it doubles
in bulk.
Bake at 375F almost an hour.

Marika

<*> Your email settings: