Deborah Harrell wrote:

> Viruses are really interesting, and a bit scary, to
> study.  If anyone's curious, I could find a site or
> two to post.
>
> Insinuated Into Our Genes Maru

At the moment I find gene therapy a bit scary. Especially after watching
a documentary about how especially in the US (one of the leading
countries doing research in that area) the amount of intertwinement
between financial benefit and research causes really big problems for
patients. You cannot trust the doc because he might gain a couple a
billions from you getting the one lucky treatment. If you don't, ah well
tough luck. What shocked me even more is that even after such a tangle,
resulting in dire consequences for a patient is found, there is nothing
much done about it except maybe a little slap on the wrist and some bad
publicity. I find that very disturbing and not very trust inspiring for
the future.
I do feel we need legislation and we need the current legeslation to be
very rigidly enforced untill the technique is much better understood
than it is now and the human related research is out of its infancy.
Then it might become a trusted and widely applied tool to improve and
even save a lot of lives.

Sonja

ROU: All is fair in war and ... commerce. ;o)