Reggie Bautista wrote:

> Somehow, the thought of anonymous dinging had never
> entered my mind before this discussion started.  Since
> I first heard mention of dinging, I always assumed it
> would be an open, transparent process.  Personally,
> I'd like to see the ding-er give an explanation to the
> ding-ee as to why they are being dinged in a calm,
> polite way, much like it used to be when someone was
> tapped by the legendary "wand of dinging."

Same here. The dinging Nick is developing seems pretty far
from what we called dinging in Jo Anne's day. The idea of
anonymous dings makes me nervous, plus I always thought of
a ding as merely a message telling the dingee (or other
small boat ;-) ) to cool off, not a mechanism for slowing
down the dingee's posting.