--- Russell Chapman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Deborah Harrell wrote:
>
> >Had either Colin Powell or John McCain been the
> >Republican candidate for President in the last
> >election, I would have voted for him; being
> >ex-military makes a person more likely to
> understand
> >what it means to commit to a war (and less likely
> to run headlong into one).
> >
> But the USA wasn't at war at the last presidential
> election. I think
> that in Y2000 the US population in general was
> looking for other
> attributes than the ability to lead a country
> through the current
> situation. Hell, half the population of the USA
> hadn't even heard of Colin Powell pre 9/11.

Sorry, should have been clearer: both have also
displayed leadership abilities, and the ability to
work with others (one in the Senate, the other with
foreign officers/military leaders).  Think I'll have
to disagree with you on the "half of America hadn't
heard of Powell," b/c his not running for the
presidency was a topic of conversation at the office -
but I don't have any numbers to back that up!  :)

Debbi
Paucity of Words Maru