Gautam Mukunda wrote:

>Without commenting on my own salary, I would point out
>that between the various taxes and government-mandated
>deductions in my salary, I end up paying 42% to the
>government.  That's _before_ I deduct for my 401K and
>things like that.

I'm trying to remember what 401K is.

I know we don't have to pay the government much right now - in fact we
usually get a few hundred back - because my mom's been complaining that,
what with the new cheese business doing well, and the bro and I about to
stop being dependents, she may actually have to start paying for the
first time since they started farming. (I've never made enough money to
have to pay taxes, so I don't know much about this either....)

> I also live in Manhattan.  Despite
>the fact that I have _4_ roommates, my rent+utilities
>exceeds $1300 per month.  There are plenty of people
>at McKinsey - or any other financial/consulting firm -
>who make more than $120K/year (I assume - salary
>figures are confidential, but that isn't that much by
>financial world standards), but I understand quite
>well why they say that it doesn't go nearly as far as
>you might think.

<nod> That's the good bit. You don't get paid a lot but you get "perks" -
almost always, with a farming job, housing (usually crappy housing [there
won't be any indoor plumbing when I go home] but housing), and usually
food. My parents give their employees a pig and a cow - dead and cut up
and all, of course. And as much milk as you want. <grin>

J. van Baardwijk wrote:

>You are correct -- that is not a lot.   <GRIN>
>
>OK, maybe it is a reasonable wage for a trained herdsman, but personally, I
>do not even bother to get out of bed for 15-20k per year.

If I was having to do math all the time I *know* I wouldn't get out of
bed for 120K a year. Farming's what I love. It pays nothing, and I end up
with scars and muddy clothes and stuff, but there we are. <grin>

I was just mildly curious, really. I just don't *know* what people make,
or what that translates to. My family's financial situation is so muddy
that it's impossible to judge anything.

Anyway. Cool.

<goes to bed>

Kat Feete