> Erik Rueter wrote:
>
> >5 figures a month would mean a minimum of $120K a
> year, right? I thought
> >that was not all that unusual at McKinsey. Now that
> I know that, I guess
> >I should have more sympathy for McKinsey employees
> :-)
>
> Ye gods, but that is an obscene amount of money.
>
> Brings up a point of curiousity for me: what sort of
> money, exactly, do
> people make? I know in a vague way what my parents
> gross, but since
> they're running their own business that doesn't mean
> much. Last I heard,
> once business expenses were subtracted, we were
> somewhere under 20k a
> year but that still doesn't mean much... and, now
> that I think of it,
> isn't necessarily right either. Gah. Myself, I
> thought I was doing great
> when I was making £240 a week (about $350) for 60
> hours a week or so of
> work... when I start working this January,
> realistically, I'm going to be
> paid whatever my parents can afford to pay me, but
> practically I think
> the going wage for a trained herdsman is 15-20k.
>
> Er, is that not a lot?
>
> Kat "Money? What's that?" Feete

Without commenting on my own salary, I would point out
that between the various taxes and government-mandated
deductions in my salary, I end up paying 42% to the
government.  That's _before_ I deduct for my 401K and
things like that.  I also live in Manhattan.  Despite
the fact that I have _4_ roommates, my rent+utilities
exceeds $1300 per month.  There are plenty of people
at McKinsey - or any other financial/consulting firm -
who make more than $120K/year (I assume - salary
figures are confidential, but that isn't that much by
financial world standards), but I understand quite
well why they say that it doesn't go nearly as far as
you might think.

If you're interested in distributions, you could take
a look at the CIA World Factbook, which has some info.
on things that, as do the BLS, the World Bank, and
things like that.

Gautam