From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:07:52 EST
Subject: Fwd: religion is evil, why it must be eradicated
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 11/25/2002 3:12:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

That's not the point.  They could in fact get to those proofs, even if
>they do not do so, those proofs do exist.  With religion, those proofs do
>not exist.

Could you provide the proof that you are conscious to me?

Conscious in what sense? Awake and aware of surroundings. Specific brain regions are active when an animal is conscious. They are quiescent when the animal is asleep and when they are damaged the animal is not conscious; so in sense yes we can tell if an individual is conscious. Now I think you mean self-aware; the sort of consciousness that only humans have. It is likely this special consciousness is an expanded version of the more basic consciousness but even if it is not it is likely that we will find types of brain activity that are required for consciousness. This type data may not satisfy those who want to see consciousness as some internal subjective thing. And certainly if one defines consciousness in this way there can be no proof that it exists. But I believe this is cheating. We accept mechanistic notions about how most things work in the world. If we can identify a specific brain state that is present when individuals act as if they are conscious and don't see this state when they loss awareness of self (for instance in someone with Alzheimers
Disease) then we will be able to prove consciousness