On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 07:10:37PM -0500, Erik Reuter wrote:

> That's an interesting cultural difference. I wonder if anyone has
> written about that difference before. Off to do some web searches...

I haven't found a lot. Two interesting things I found are below.

Apparently, Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel) went to Oxford,
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y65553F92

  Oxford . Founded in 1167, Oxford is now comprised of 35 individual
  colleges. Enter the Bodleian Library where alumni such as Margaret
  Thatcher, Stephen Hawking, Dr. Seuss and JRR Tolkien studied for their
  degrees. Students can visit the Ashmolean Museum, attend a choir
  recital, go rowing on the Isis or check out the popular Eagle and
  Child Pub.

>From http://www.politicalcartoon.co.uk/html/history8.html

  In the United States Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel, 1904-1991), the
  best selling American author of all time, is a household name. Recite
  the first half of a Seussian line today, and someone nearby will
  supply the rest. Many of his books have been turned into videos
  (animations he himself worked on). How the Grinch Stole Christmas
  became the disastrous Hollywood production, The Grinch, starring Jim
  Carrey; a Broadway musical, Seussical, also died of asphyxiation. The
  whimsy that is a Seuss staple dies easy, especially when producers
  throw money at it.

  But Dr. Seuss doesn't travel well. He is well-known in Australia
  but less so in Great Britain (and hardly at all in the non-English
  speaking world). To gain some idea of Dr. Seuss.s popularity, those
  in Britain today might think Harry Potter. Better, think Beatrix
  Potter some time ago. She is more to the point because her balance
  of pictures and text more nearly approximates that of Dr. Seuss. But
  where the prim and proper Beatrix Potter introduced children to big
  words ("with alacrity," for example), the zany Dr. Seuss kept his
  vocabulary simple.single syllables in the two wildly successful books
  The Cat in the Hat and One Fish, Two Fish , both of which he wrote
  explicitly for beginning readers. His long words he made up: Big Boy
  Boomeroo, Yazzmatazz, Beezle-Nut.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/