I hesitate to introduce another political discussion onto this already polarized
list, but at least this one's on topic (and hopefully hasn't already been beaten
to death sometime in the past).

Have you guys read Dr. Brin's keynote speech for the Libertarian Party National
Convention?  He's published it here:
http://www.kithrup.com/brin/libertarianarticle1.html
What do you think of it?

While I'm not sure I agree with everything he says, I thought that overall, it was a
brilliant speech.  For me, there were several "Wow - I never thought of it *that way*!"
moments and other ideas that really gave me some new perspectives on things.

I also would like to see what other people think about this specific excerpt from the
speech (from pg. 3):

     Still, today I am especially interested in how all this applies to Libertarians.
And for you folks, there's a
     surface assumption that I want to address briefly, in passing.

     When it comes to imposing or eliminating government regulation, which of the
major parties is the 'lesser
     of evils'?

     Elsewhere I go into this in some detail, discussing some unseen aspects of the
great big 'Two Party
     System' that the Libertarian Party and its members really ought to think about.
And yes, from your
     perspective there is an awful lot to dislike about both the Republicans and
Democrats.

     But are they the same kind of opponents? Or is there an underlying difference in
the roles they play,
     stymieing libertarian objectives.

     Again, I'll leave this for another time and place, but let me tease you with one
hint: there is reason to
     believe that one of the two majors is your natural and honorable opponent. If
libertarianism achieved its
     deserved place on the political landscape, this group would be the strong and
worthy adversary for you to
     compete with openly, offering sovereign citizens differing ideas about how to
create a better world.

     The other opponent represents interests that cannot ever allow you to stand up
and be heard. Its
     opposition is not based on a differing approach to problem-solving, but upon its
own survival, which is
     predicated upon preventing you from ever getting a chance to be heard.

     Not enough of a hint? Well, for now, just try on one irony. We are used to the
cliché that "Democrats favor
     freedom in the bedroom while Republicans favor freedom in the boardroom." But
look over the last 30
     years. How many industries have been deregulated to a degree that's more than
cosmetic? I count
     trucking, banking, real estate, telecommunications, airlines and parcel post. And
the 'industry' of the
     Welfare Program. Now ask, how many or these major steps were taken as Republican
initiatives and how
     many Democratic?

     Another case where you may slap your foreheads in surprise and say: "huh!"

I haven't been a serious political follower, so I'm not sure about the origins of all
those initiatives,
but I suspect they were mostly Republican ones - (am I wrong on this?)  To me, this
seems to be
saying the Republicans are the "natural and honorable opponent" and Democrats as the
party "predicated
upon preventing you from ever getting a chance to be heard.".  But elsewhere in the
speech, he says he
votes Democrat sometimes... so maybe my guess is wrong?... but then one of his
questions specifically is
about making a choice of allies between one with
short-term-similar/long-term-different goals and one
with similar long-term goals but a different idea on how to get there - so that makes
me wonder which of
those he see the Democrats as.

-Bryon