On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 04:35:13PM -0500, Bryon Daly wrote:

> Have you guys read Dr. Brin's keynote speech for the
> Libertarian Party National Convention?  He's published it here:
> http://www.kithrup.com/brin/libertarianarticle1.html What do you think
> of it?
>
>      Not enough of a hint? Well, for now, just try on one irony. We
>      are used to the cliché that "Democrats favor freedom in the
>      bedroom while Republicans favor freedom in the boardroom." But
>      look over the last 30 years. How many industries have been
>      deregulated to a degree that's more than cosmetic? I count
>      trucking, banking, real estate, telecommunications, airlines
>      and parcel post. And the 'industry' of the Welfare Program. Now
>      ask, how many or these major steps were taken as Republican
>      initiatives and how many Democratic?
>
> I haven't been a serious political follower, so I'm not sure about the
> origins of all those initiatives,

I don't know the origins either but...

> but I suspect they were mostly Republican ones - (am I wrong on this?)

knowing Brin, I believe you are wrong on this.

>  To me, this seems to be saying the Republicans are the "natural
> and honorable opponent" and Democrats as the party "predicated
> upon preventing you from ever getting a chance to be heard.".  But
> elsewhere in the speech, he says he votes Democrat sometimes... so
> maybe my guess is wrong?...

Yes, your guess is wrong. Brin is more progressive than conservative
(understatement?). I think he sees libertarians as fighting against
all types of government regulation (boardroom or bedroom), democrats
as fighting bedroom regulation, and Republicans as (theoretically)
fighting boardroom regulation. But he believes the Republicans have
failed in their mission. The conflict he refers to is between the
libertarians, finding ways to increase freedom and reduce government,
and the democrats who will try to find ways to use government to
advantage in solving societal problems.

> about making a choice of allies between one with
> short-term-similar/long-term-different goals and one with similar
> long-term goals but a different idea on how to get there - so that
> makes me wonder which of those he see the Democrats as.

short-term-similar/long-term-different = Republicans (conservative)

long-term-similar = Democrats, both libertarians and Dems want to change
and improve the country, but one wants to do it with little government,
the other with lots of government.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/