Yeah.  Well that's not quite _it_.

The crucial feature is being able to *group* the receiver appliances into
groups.

What I observed was a single large dance floor.  A divider effectively
separated the floor into two rooms.  For better or worse neither "room" was
acoustically isolated.  Each room had its own music played through
loud-speakers.  Room one had a class--that is one teacher with many students.
Room two had a championship couple and their coach and three private
instructors, each with a student.

Music was played at a moderate volume because students and teachers needed to
talk.  Furthermore, other business needs might require verbal communication.

In short, they had a maximum supply of two audio channels for music, they had
demand for five channels of music.  Furthermore, each coach or instructor
needed to control the music so they and their student(s) got a synchronized
musical program.

Proposed

Class in room one:
1 --> Audio 1: Loudspeaker
1.1
1.2
1.n

Sessions in room two (currently all listen to the same music):
2a --> Audio 2: mini-cast
2a.1
2a.2

2b --> Audio 3:mini-cast
2b.1

2c --> Audio 4:mini-cast
2c.1

2d --> Audio 5:mini-cast
2d.1

Plus my friend _might_ want to practice by herself, but at the studio, and
using her mini-cast receiver.

2e --> Audio 6:mini-cast OR audio stored in reciver unit.