Trent Shipley wrote:

Yeah. Well that's not quite _it_.

The crucial feature is being able to *group* the receiver appliances into groups.

I *think* that's what these systems do. Some hear only the backing track (ie the filler stuff not being played by anyone on stage), some hear the music in total, and some only hear the stage manager's instructions, but who hears what can be switched from the backstage console.

I imagine that your dance floor proposal could be done much cheaper than these things, and would require less expertise to operate. Perhaps IR could be utilised, with ceiling mounted transmitters. IR receiving headphones are very cheap in department stores.

Cheers
Russell C.