Deborah Harrell wrote:

>My grasp of formal logic is tentative at best, but I
>never understood why one should propose an "imaginary
>number" like the square root of -2 (IIRC the term
>correctly), as - to me - math is supposed to describe
>the real world, not an impossible one.

It makes me very sad that you say so. So that I
don't think you have the right to this opinion, but
because about a week ago I wrote a long message
with subject something like "the square root of minus
one is evil, why it must be eradicated" and explained
why this satanic thing entered mathematics

BTW, mathematics is not supposed to describe
anything. That's the job of physics

Alberto Monteiro