--- "Robert J. Chassell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[I wrote:]
>     My grasp of formal logic is tentative at best,
> but I
>     never understood why one should propose an
> "imaginary
>     number" like the square root of -2 (IIRC the
> term
>     correctly), as - to me - math is supposed to
> describe
>     the real world, not an impossible one.
>
> You are being confused by the metaphor of imagining.
>  Suppose the name
> of the kind of number that the square root of -1
> represents were a
> "partially-rotated-axes number" or (shorter, more
> easily said) a
> "lateral number" (as Gauss once suggested).
>
> In the real world, while walking, you turn
> frequently.  That is what
> "partially-rotated" means.  The metaphor of a number
> on an axis that
> is turned a bit is fully real and makes sense ... go
> into a room with
> square Linoleum tiles on the floor; face one row of
> tiles, then turn
> left 90 degrees, and face another row ... you have
> just become
> `imaginary' in the 16th century, metaphorical
> language of mathematics.

The image of 'partially-rotated' is graspable (so to
speak ;D ), but if multiplying two negative numbers is
_supposed_ to make a positive, the square root of a
negative number 'should not be' possible.

So Glad To Pass Calculus Back In The Day Maru
GSV Concretellated  (or Confusles, as in Hephalumphed)