I watch it in the morning.  Well, to be more accurate, listen to it while
I'm on the computer.

Saturday night, I spent a very long time on the phone with a market research
survey guy asking about local tv news.  I usually don't do those things, but
in this case, I was curious what they care about.  It seemed to come down to
a series of descriptions of the anchors, with which I was invited to agree
or disagree from a scale of 1 to 5.  The statements were something like
these: "confident," "comfortable to watch," "knows the Bay Area well,"
"reliable," "committed and involved in the community."   To the last, my
answer was, "How the heck would I know?  All I seem him/her do is read from
a teleprompter..."  There were also a bunch of questions about
"investigative" reporting, which I couldn't answer at all, since I haven't
seen anything on local news that even comes close to real investigative
reporting.

It was depressing hearing what they care about, although there really were
no surprises.  But I did have the opportunity to tell the researcher
numerous times that for news and weather, I rely far more on the Internet
than TV.   (More than newspapers, too, but they didn't ask.)

Nick
(15 years as a reporter)