On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:31:54PM -0500, John D. Giorgis wrote:

> The 1990's represented an unprecedented economic phenomenon, and
> there appears to have been a 50-50 chance of it occuring underneath a
> Republican or Democratic President,

Over a longer period, from 1948 to 2001, the average annualized real US
stock market return was 11.25% during Democratic Presidential terms and
only 6.11% during Republican Presidential terms.[1]

+ 8.64 Truman
+13.42 Eisenhower
+13.88 Kennedy
+ 7.42 Johnson
- 6.93 Nixon
+ 9.27 Ford
+ 0.93 Carter
+10.26 Reagan
+ 9.81 Bush
+16.01 Clinton
-17.38 Bush, G.W. (through Dec 2001)

> or for that matter, a Republican or Democratic Congress.

I don't have data on Congress. Maybe Congress even has a stronger effect
on the market than the President, I don't know. But apparently the
market performance is not 50-50 based on party of the President over the
post WWII period.

[1] Jeremy Siegel, _Stocks for the Long Run_

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/