On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:26:55PM -0600, Steve Sloan II wrote:
> It wouldn't have to be random to be completely independent
> of which politician was in power.

Actually, I think that (independent of President) is exactly what was
meant by "random" in this context.

> Clinton's administration saw a genuine technological boom in the
> internet, and in companies that do all their business on the internet.

Historically, technological improvement has had little effect on
the stock market. One reason is that for companies to benefit from
technology, they usually have to upgrade their capital which subtracts
from profits. Some claim there was a genuine labor productivity increase
recently due to computers, but if true it looks to be only a small
factor in the overall market return.

Here is some historical data from Siegel. It is total annualized real US
stock market return.

7.0%  1802-1870
6.6%  1871-1925
6.9%  1926-2001

7.1%  1946-2001

Note how stabile the stock market returns are over longer time
periods. It is even more dramatic if you see the cumulative return graph
over the last 200 years. It just follows the same slope of doubling
every 10 years with the booms and busts looking like only slight
deviations from the straight line around 7% per year.

Consider that over this period the US evolved from agricultural to
industrial and then post-industrial (service and technology oriented)
economies. Electricity, radio, television, farming technology,
railroads, cars, air travel, military technology, space travel, nuclear
power, computers, Internet. And the slope of the stock market return
never deviated more than 0.5% from 7.0%.

> Still, I think that advances in technology, especially the computer
> industry, drove that economic boom far more than any politician's
> policies.

I think it is very unlikely that the boom was driven by real advances
in profitability due to technology. It might have been driven by human
PERCEPTIONS of those advances, but that is quite a different thing.

> If anything, maybe better economic policies could have tamed that ugly
> boom and bust cycle a little bit.

Maybe, but how? During 1999 and 2000 as the Fed raised interest rates
(and after Greenspan's famous "irrational exuberance" comment), the
market continued to increase at a dramatic rate. What more could have
been done to combat the madness of crowds?

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/