On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 09:07:52AM -0600, Robert Seeberger wrote:
> From: "Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 08:42:11PM -0600, Julia Thompson wrote:
> > > Actually, it looks like a piece of spam that I thought I told the
> > > server to discard (Nick, sometime check the log files and tell me if
> > > I goofed in my congested and not entirely alert state) had something
> > > other than my intent happen to it.
> >
> > Why was it trying to access a file in the /root/ directory?
> >
> Now that I think about it, that is somewhat surprising.
> Nicks server is Linux right?

Yes, although it is possible that something Julia or Nick set up was
trying to do something in the /root/ directory in response to the
spam. Normally, I would expect logs to be written to the /var/log/
directory. And the /root/ directory is basically the home directory of
the root user (superuser), and you wouldn't normally write a file with a
name like 8e8Ta4 directly into a home directory.

So, while it is possible some legitimate script was writing to the
/root/ directory in response to the spam, it is a strange way to do
things. It is worth checking out to see if it was legitimate or not.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/