Recently I have begun a new job search after working happily as
contractor scum for five years for the Department of Defense.

I have read a great deal of do's and don'ts as far as what you should
and should not do for resumes, interviews, post interview, etc. And
unfortunately, much of the information is contradictory from source to
source.

So I will put the questions to the smartest group of people that I know.
:-)

1. After an interview (phone or in person) is it appropriate to send a
thank you - either a hand written card or an email. Since I am looking
for jobs in the IT field, I tend to favor email.  Some sources say the
"thank you" is virtually mandatory and some sources say that it is more
of an annoyance because they don't want to waste the time to read them.

2. Recently I have been contacting companies to find the name of the
person that will be actually receiving my resume and addressing this to
them directly. The source that gave me this idea says that this shows
initiative. Any thoughts?

3.  This question is one that I am personally on the fence with - My
supervisor at the DoD is really great about supporting people when they
have opportunities to move up and advance in position, job or salary. He
consistently has given glowing references for all of us. So, I put in my
cover letters that my supervisor is aware that I am seeking other
employment and is listed as one of my professional references.  I had a
recruiter tell me that this gives a negative impression - kind of like
we are mutually agreeing that I should leave. I have always thought this
would be a positive since they could always contact my current employer
for a reference.  Any thoughts on this specific issue would be
appreciated.

4. Any other thoughts or advice on questions not covered here would also
be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Bad cable TV story plots maru.

This is a Science Fiction/Sports story set in a nursing home for the
elderly where a karate champion travels through time, trying to
escape the murder rap of a lost love while desperately searching for a
kleptomaniac priest who pretends to be a peanut farmer in Rio who
recently
became involved with a writer who may be a manic-depressive
blood-sucking model.