On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 12:28:58PM -0500, Gary L. Nunn wrote:

> 1. After an interview (phone or in person) is it appropriate to send a
> thank you - either a hand written card or an email. Since I am looking
> for jobs in the IT field, I tend to favor email.  Some sources say the
> "thank you" is virtually mandatory and some sources say that it is
> more of an annoyance because they don't want to waste the time to read
> them.

I think that if there is no substantial content to the note, it is
optional and has little chance of making a difference either way,
although it seems to me that it is more likely to help you (if they
simply forgot about you) than hurt you (few people get upset about
polite irrelevancies). But if you can think of some relevant information
or detail to say about why you think hiring you would benefit the
company, especially if it was based on something you learned during the
interview or that was discussed during the interview, then definitely
send a note. (That is partly responsible how I got my current job)

As far as type of note, I would only send email if I knew that my email
would be read. In my case, I had had prior communication via email, so
I did use email for the note. But if you aren't certain that your email
will be read (consider email filters), I think a mailed letter has a
better chance of being read than an email.

> 2. Recently I have been contacting companies to find the name of the
> person that will be actually receiving my resume and addressing this
> to them directly. The source that gave me this idea says that this
> shows initiative. Any thoughts?

My strategy has always been to try to contact the person who would
actually be the manager or supervisor of the position I was trying
to apply for. If you can telephone such a person, and discuss job
openings and perhaps put in a few good words for yourself as to how
your abilities fit any openings, and then ask about sending your resume
and possibily arranging an interview, then, well you have drastically
increased your chances over someone who sent their resume to the HR
manager and hoped it got read by the right person after that.

> 3.  This question is one that I am personally on the fence with -
> My supervisor at the DoD is really great about supporting people
> when they have opportunities to move up and advance in position, job
> or salary. He consistently has given glowing references for all of
> us. So, I put in my cover letters that my supervisor is aware that I
> am seeking other employment and is listed as one of my professional
> references.  I had a recruiter tell me that this gives a negative
> impression - kind of like we are mutually agreeing that I should
> leave. I have always thought this would be a positive since they could
> always contact my current employer for a reference.  Any thoughts on
> this specific issue would be appreciated.

It is a little unusual (I haven't seen it stated like that on a cover
letter). I guess I'm not really sure how most people would react to
that. Why not play it safe and prominently list him as a reference with
full contact information, but don't mention the part about him being
aware. You won't be hiding his awareness, if that is a concern, since
anyone who contacts him will probably find out that he is aware. But better
they find out in a conversation than on a resume.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/