At 07:53 12-2-2003 -0800, Nick Arnett wrote:

I don't see this as *my* list, even though it operates via server.  That's
why I don't use the phrase "list owner," but "list manager" instead.  I
regard that role as stewardship, not ownership.  I have a greater ability to
do damage to the list, but just as it managed to migrate from Cornell to my
server, it could migrate again.  I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could
do anything I want.
The problem is, you *can* do pretty much anything you want. Other than leaving this list and set up an other one somewhere else, there is nothing we can do if you decide to run this list like a dictator.

This is not a democracy, but that doesn't mean it is totalitarian.
Given my experiences so far, I have some doubts about that.   :-(

Seeing your later posting, I should add that several people have asked, all
off-list IIRC, for a discussion of Jeroen's legal notice, which I find
bothersome, too.  At the risk of being paternalistic, I'll note that some
people were quietly following a policy of not ever replying to a message
with that notice, and I wasn't sure that Jeroen even realized.
I did notice a decline in the number of replies to my posts. But if people choose not to reply to my messages because of a Legal Notice, then I consider that to be their loss, not mine.

I feel like adding a reminder that anyone can start a new list... but get a
creepy notion that that's something like Bill Gates saying that anyone is
free to write their own operating system.
True. That's why you can do anything you want to this list. Nobody is going to setup a new Brin-L, and we can't force you to migrate Brin-L to someone else's server if we decide you have overstepped your authority as a list admin.

Jeroen "Bad Idea" van Baardwijk

Wonderful-World-of-Brin-L Website: http://www.Brin-L.com

LEGAL NOTICE:
By replying to this message, you understand and accept that your replies (both on-list and off-list) may be published on-line and in any other form, and that I cannot and shall not be held responsible for any negative consequences (monetary and otherwise) this may have for you.