On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 10:41:29AM -0600, Julia Thompson wrote:

> It *is* Nick's server, and if there's a major legal problem, it's Nick's
> ass.  If there's a major problem of some other nature that could affect him
> negatively, it's still *his* ass.
>
> Nick would be well within his rights to do whatever he thinks he needs to do
> to cover his ass, without input from anyone else.
>
> He *is* asking us, though, which means he values the opinions of people who
> don't have as much on the line as he does.  And I appreciate this.

Me too. Well said. Despite my occasional disagreement with Nick about
moderating what or how people say things, I don't disagree with Nick
here because this is entirely different. This is a *LEGAL* matter, i.e.,
something that can have real life repercussions. Like Dan has better
explained elsewhere, I think it is best to keep the list as free of
real-life consequences as possible.

However, I still think the best way to handle this is for as many people
as possible to state that they have adopted a policy of not replying to
messages with legal notices.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/