Nick Arnett wrote:

> In other good news, I straightened out some IP-based open relay blocking
> stuff, which is stopping even more spam.  Doesn't affect the list much
> (except that anything that loads the mail server and Mailman slow them
> down), but makes life easier for the list managers.

How does this IP-based open relay blocking work?

I ask because awhile back, I was in the situation of all my outgoing mail
going through a server that was known as an open relay; I got mail bounced
back to me for that reason (fortunately I had another address for the party
I was trying to correspond with, or the conversation would have died and he
wouldn't have known why, and might have been upset with *me*), and I'm
wondering if anyone is currently in that situation, and if so, depending on
how the blocking worked, would end up being for all intents and purposes
censorship of that person, even if that were not the *real* intent.

        Julia

(sorry if the sentence was too long)