On > Behalf Of Matt Grimaldi
> Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 10:10 AM
> To: Killer Bs Discussion
> Subject: Re: POLICY PROPOSAL: The list and copyright

> Jeroen van Baardwijk wrote:
> > > Only if you're a member of that intolerant and self-righteous
> > > subset of US citizens who see any and all criticism of the US
> > > and her citizens as "anti-Americanism".
>
> <sigh>
> This is not a cute and witty thing to say, Jeroen.

No, it was trolling.  But it allowed me to prove a point so I challenged
it anyway. Don't worry, it won't devolve into a flamewar.

> Jon Gabriel wrote:
> > **You** are again using a negative stereotype to
> > describe Americans. **That** is intolerant and
> > arrogantly self-righteous behavior.
>
> He said "subset of US Citizens", Jon, probably in an
> attempt to avoid turning it into a stereotype for
> all Americans.  Are you trying to say that no group
> of people who fit that description exists?  I'd be
> quick to disagree with you if you are.

His original comment did not focus on a subset of Americans.  If it had,
he would have said something along the lines of "Let me guess, you're a
member of that group of Americans who think they should sue
everything....."

A subset exists.  I don't deny that.  Some Americans are fat too.  It
would also be offensive if Jeroen walked up to an obese person and said
"You're huge!  You *must* be an American."

> Regardless, you're taking offense too quickly,
> which is much too easy to do in an email forum.

Perhaps.  It's true that he does have the ability to offend me quickly.
It IS interesting that on a list with over 100 active posters from a
variety of backgrounds and political POV's that he is the only one who
does so, isn't it?

I and other people have noted publicly that this is a behavioral
pattern.  I refuted Jeroen's oft-made objection that he routinely
criticizes American policy and not the American people, but is then
unfairly accused of being anti-American.  Since I've made my point, I
doubt I'll need to post further on the subject.

Jon