Erik wrote:
The Iraqis haven't put up much of a resistance to Saddam, but
it seems to me that it is more likely not because most Iraqis desire
Saddam's rule, but rather because Saddam is so brutally competent at
suppressing resistance. Perhaps a closer analogy would be American
slaves -- they didn't put up an effective resistance by themselves but
needed help from Lincoln and the Northern army to win their freedom.
This seems like a very apt comparison to me. I'm interested in your opinion on something that someone else said on-list today (sorry, I don't remember who said it, and the email got deleted in a horrible mouse accident :-)

Someone asked on-list about whether people should be forced into freedom. This strikes me as a very interesting question, one I hadn't thought about. I find that I'm amvbivalent about it. Erik, would you see your view as just stated on-list in another email that religion should be eradicated as being about forcing them to be free from what you see as a destructive behavior?

Reggie Bautista