On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 01:19:05PM -0500, Jon Gabriel wrote:

> Do you believe it should be illegal to scream "Fire!" in a crowded
> building? Your imho, rather radical opinions on the subject of free
> speech have been well stated onlist, but I don't believe I've ever
> asked you this.

You call my opinions radical, and you just advocated criminalizing
denying the Holocaust? However stupid that may be, it is not equivalent
to yelling fire in a theater. Yes, I believe that should be illegal --
there is no opinion or information in such a prank, and it is clearly
and immediately harmful. Denying the Holocaust does contain an opinion,
even if stupid, and it is not clear that it is harmful (eg., it could be
credibly argued that as long as there are only a few Holocaust deniers,
and they are always loudly and competently refuted by other people, it
keeps the true history focused in people's minds and actually helps
prevent similar things happening).

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/