From: "The Fool" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Brin-L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Octopus
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:20:15 -0600

Zoo Octopus Learns To Open
Shrimp Jar By Watching

MUNICH, Germany (Reuters) - A common octopus in a German zoo has learned
to open jars of shrimp by watching zoo attendants perform the act
underwater.  Frida, a 5-month-old female octopus, opens the jars by
pressing her body on the lid and grasping the sides with the suckers on
her eight tentacles. With a succession of body twists she unscrews the
lid.  "Depending on how tight the lid is, it takes her anything from 10
seconds to an hour to get it off," said Frank Mueller, head of the
aquarium at the Hellabrunn Zoo.

In related news, Aquarium Director Frank Mueller was found strangled to death this morning. His body was discovered floating in the tank of beloved Hellabrunn Zoo octopus, Frida by Marine Biologist Bergt Schaeffer. Foul play is not suspected. Here is an excerpt from Mr. Schaeffer's statement to the media:
"Poor Frank. I told him not to tease Frida. He never listened but just frustrated her day after day, over and over. Now I guess he'll win a Darwin Award."

Jon
GSV Not-So-Subtle Humor