At 07:50 PM 3/1/03 -0800, Doug Pensinger wrote:
Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

But when I watch a movie which takes place on a nuclear submarine (perhaps the closest contemporary environment to that of a starship), I don't want to spend the entire hour or two of my time simply watching the crew sitting in the wardroom watching the weekly movie

The crew wouldn't be in the wardroom, they'd be in the crew's mess. And they show movies every night (or used to, eons ago) 8^)

Corrections noted. Thank you. (Although I don't think it makes a major difference in my example. ;-) )

Doug

GSV Ancient Submariner

I preferred to spend my military days hurtling through the air at hundreds of miles per hour in a flimsy tin can rather than moving hundreds of feet under the water at a few knots in a flimsy tin can . . .

;-)

-- Ronn! :)

Almighty Ruler of the all,
Whose Power extends to great and small,
Who guides the stars with steadfast law,
Whose least creation fills with awe,
O grant thy mercy and thy grace,
To those who venture into space.

(Robert A. Heinlein's added verse to the Navy Hymn)