On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, John D. Giorgis wrote:

> At 01:00 AM 3/5/2003 -0600 Marvin Long, Jr. wrote:
> >Saddam is as guilty as sin but if containment can keep him as
> >relatively weak as he is now, then perpetuating that state of affairs is
> >the lesser evil
>
> Two questions for you Marvin:
>
> 1) Do you consider the ability to use massive amounts of anthrax and nerve
> agent in chemical and biological attacks upon the US to be "relatively weak?"

First of all, I'm not convinced that Hussein has the ability to use
massive amounts of anything against the US.  I don't doubt that he has
stockpiles of the stuff, but that's not the same as being able to deploy
them in any significant way against the US.  It seems to me that in order
to be able to "use massive amounts of anthrax and nerve agent" against the
US, Hussein would have to be able to fly planes over the US or else to
target us with ICBMs or maybe warships or something else comparable.  He
can't do that right now.

It seems to me that Hussein's strength lies not in his ability to threaten
the US directly, but in his ability to threaten those of his neighbors in
whom the US has a vested interest.  But this ability is itself highly
curtailed by sanctions and no-fly zones.  So, yes, he does seem to me to
be "relatively weak" (relative to what, is the question perhaps) at this
time.  Weak enough so that we could have spent another year on diplomacy
to try to build support instead of announcing ahead of time that war is
what will happen no matter what anybody else says and then reluctantly
going through the motions of negotiating with the UNSC.

Secondly, please note that you quoted me out of context above.  The quoted
statement was originally part of a hypothetical designed to explain why
some people might think Hussein in his current state is less dangerous
than a United States, power unchecked by any rival, armed with the
precedent that preemptive warfare is a legitimate principle whenever our
interests are at stake.  I believe Erik described this perspective as a
selfish ivory tower paranoid fantasy.  :-)

Personally, I think it's just the historical cliche that power corrupts
applied what appears to be the current trend:  that the United States
seeks to be the unrivaled economic, military, and political force on
earth.  The fantasy - that is, the yet-to-be-tested article of faith - is
that America's values and political institutions will prevent power from
corrupting the exercise of its unchecked hegemony.  That theory will only
start to be tested now that the Soviet Union has fallen and we have a
motivation for being militarily aggressive on the world stage in the war
on terror.  I think it's perfectly natural for someone trying to think
about the "big picture" to be more concerned with containing America - the
larger long-term issue - than with Hussein, the smaller short-to-medium
term issue.  We can't assume that everyone - especially citizens of other
nations, even the ones that generally like the US - will assume by default
that a unipolar global American hegemony will be the best of all possible
worlds.

However...having said that, I want to say this:  I've been silent in this
thread since the post quoted above because I found Erik's response to be
very powerful, powerful enough to make me decide to shut up and sit and
listen and read what others have to say and think for a while.  That's
still pretty much how I feel.  I think the US has handled this issue about
as badly as possible on the diplomatic front - by our bluntness placing at
needlessly increased risk the very leaders, like Tony Blair, by whose
support we hope to gain international legitimacy.  On the other hand, I
see no moral credibility in the mechanations of nations like France, say;
and the hope for a Mid-East region genuinely improved by an American
presence in Iraq is very compelling.  It still feels totally like a roll
of the dice to me, though.

And we've reached a point where the US's search for UN approval has become
sort of pathetic; Powell's announcement today that we would continue to
seek UNSC approval bordered on self-humiliation for the administration in
its search for international support, given Bush's press conference
several days ago.  Which, in an odd way, I find heartening...it suggests
to me that these men really are sincere in their stated goals even if they
do a lousy job of selling the plan.  Meanwhile, it tends to expose the
unprincipled intransigence of the opposition, as when France announces
that no resolution that includes the use of force will ever pass muster.
Why have any resolution ever, then?

So at this point I'm thinking that if war comes to pass, as it almost
certainly will, I'm going to bite my tongue and hope and pray, in my
strange and godless way, that everything works out for the best.  I can't
honestly say that I believe in this war.  But my fondest hope may be to be
proven wrong.

> 2) Did you consider the DPRK in 1994, when it was accepting US bribes and
> UN inspections, and when it was only a few years away from assembling a few
> nuclear bombs without us knowing or able to stop them, to be "relatively
> weak" at that time?

Yes and no.  Compared to the US, in general terms, yes.  Even today.  But
it seems to me that DPRK, backed to some degree by China, constitutes a
much greater threat to US allies than Iraq, even before our latest massive
troop buildup in the Middle East.  In other words, even though the US is
vastly more powerful than the DPRK, the DPRK can hurt too many of our
allies too quickly for us to take them lightly, and they are in a much
better position to do such a thing than Iraq is in its current state, even
without nukes.

Also, back in 1994 I basically saw the DPRK as a nation run by such
crazy MFs that they might actually be willing to stupidly destroy
themselves in a war with the US just to save face over some stupid thing
or other, so I was immensely heartened by their willingness to take our
bribe like sane people:  maybe they were slowly coming around.  Now I
think that the DPRK is neither insane nor coming around, and I still think
they could hurt a lot more of our allies than Iraq ever could to date.

Marvin Long
Austin, Texas
Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Poindexter & Ashcroft, LLP (Formerly the USA)

http://www.breakyourchains.org/john_poindexter.htm