--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "J. van Baardwijk"

> Now, let's see. Someone who has been living in The Netherlands for
almost
> 36 years says that the country is not a republic. There are no
government
> documents that say that the country is still a republic (it ceased
to be a
> republic a long time ago).

Perhaps in Dutch, Jeroen van Baardwijk is given more authority than a
dictionary.... I can assure you, however, that in English this is
definitely not the case.

Definition #2 Jeroen.

> The Constitution does not even *mention* the
> word "republiek" (which it would if it were).

I see no reason why it would.

> The CIA World Factbook
> doesn't list The Netherlands as being a republic.

ROFLOL!

Yes it does! It calls the Netherlands a, quote, "constitutional
monarchy."   Consitutional monarchy is a subset of "republics."

Anyhow, now that Jeroen's insistence to never be proven wrong has now
engulfed the rest of the List - let me fully explain.   In my post
that got this whole thing started, I was drawing a distinction
between (direct) democracy ~=~ government where policy is set by
opinion polls/direct votes vs. republics where policy is set by
representatives.   I then made the case that, ceteris paribis, I
consider the government of a republic to be preferrable to that of a
(direct) democracy.   As is typical in these discussions among
English speakers, I omitted the word (direct) in front of
democracy.   This is because (/direct) democracy and republic are
interchangeable in colloquial discussions, but if one is discussing
politics and one is *contrasting* republics with democracies, it
becomes self-evident by virtue of a contrast being present, that one
must be talking about *direct* democracies.   Moreover, among
political scientists, this is the proper usage for the words
democracy and republic in English.  Thus, despite our colloquial
speech, the US, the UK, and the Netherlands are republics, not
democracies.

JDG - English Lessons, Maru.