On 22 Mar 2003 at 11:56, Nick Arnett wrote:

> > people have the moral sense to hold their own wills as slight things
> > compared to those of God and His minister, the state — with the
> > partial exception of judges.
>
> I'm starting to wonder if a history of the Reformation should be
> required reading for all Christians.  Do people who talk like this not
> know what happened when the state and church were essentially one?  Or
> do they think that in the last 500 years, people have become immune to
> the temptations of power?

Ahh see, I have a problem with some Christians. I have a defibate
problem with certain sections of Ortherdox Judaism (one of the
reasons I am Masorti, NOT Otherdox these days).

> There's a very important theological error at work in that thinking,
> in any event.  Believing that God chooses who is in authority does not
> reveal God's purpose in doing so.  Anybody who has much familiarity
> with the major stories of the Bible should realize that there is such
> a thing as a bad leader.

Of course.

This is why I have become attracted to a branch of my religion which
puts a lot of weight what is essentially (and it's a bad translation
of the phase, there is no really good translation for it) "A Light
unto the Nations" (doing the right thing in your own life by example,
essentially), is (unlike one of the aforementioned Ortherdox sections
not technophobic) and stresses *individual* thought.

Andy
Dawn Falcon