[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> There is one overwhelming difference here. MAD worked
> because *both* sides had huge numbers of nuclear
> weapons aimed at each other; AFAIK, the Arab nations
> do not even *have* nuclear weapons, let alone have
> them pointed at Israel.

Even though Mutually Assured Destruction has only been
applied to two States with nukes in the past, it doesn't
have to be that way. It works as long as both sides can
completely destroy each other. The Arab countries don't
need nukes, because they could murder everyone in Israel
if they sent in enough troops. (Yes, the Israelis have
managed to kick their butts in the past, but those wars
had only a handful of Arab countries attacking.)

> Hm, maybe we *should* provide them with nukes, just to
> make sure that Israel won't use its nuclear weapons.

No need. France is already hard at work on that. :-(
Steve Sloan ......... Huntsville, Alabama =========> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brin-L list pages .............................. http://www.brin-l.org
Chmeee's 3D Objects .................... http://www.sloan3d.com/chmeee
3D and Drawing Galleries .................. http://www.sloansteady.com
Software ................ Science Fiction, Science, and Computer Links
Science fiction scans ......................... http://www.sloan3d.com