--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Gautam Mukunda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> JDG - what's wrong with the football columns?  I
> _love_ the football columns?  Gregg Easterbrook is my
> _hero_ for the football columns...

If you send me any one of his football columns, I'll be able to point
out at least one error myself, and usually two-four - and these are
not just differences of opinions, but real true factual inaccuracies.

I enjoyed the early days of TMQ, but once I started noticing the
errors *every* single week - it became particularly grating to read
his cocky ripping of various people in the NFL, even though it became
clear that he really did, as he claims to, have no idea what he is
talking about.

The best example of this was his "worst play of the week" covering a
certain San Diego game this season.   Apparently, a key down came up
on the goal line, and the Chargers' opponent ran the ball up the
middle for the score.  Easterbrook then lambasted the entire San
Diego defense for, paraphrasing, "with their all-world Middle
Linebacker, Junior Seau out of the game with an injury, the Charger
defensemen looked completely stunned that their opponent ran the ball
up the middle."  (I apologize that I can't remember all the insults
hurled at San Diego in this piece, but take my word that he lambasted
them pretty good.)   Uhhh.... for one, Junior Seau is old and ain't
all-world anymore.  I don't believe that NFL teams consciously try to
run the ball away from him, indeed, that may play to Seau's strength
of lateral movement, his weakness may be in having the ball run
straight at him.  For two, however, and most unconsciounably, Junior
Seau hasn't played Middle Linebacker for several years now - he was
moved to the outside when his skills began declining.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a corrections column, though....

And if he is just plain wrong on the facts when he writes about
football, is it posible that he is careless about the facts in his
other writings?

Anyhow, like I said, name any column, and I'll find you a factual
error.

JDG