At 12:36 AM 6/23/03 -0700, Jan Coffey wrote:

--- David Hobby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > How dare you say Neanderthal!
> > >
> > > That's Neandertal.
> > >
> > > Greg Bear spells it Neandertal.
> > >
> > > Robert J. Sawyer spells it Neanderthal.
>
>       "Tal" is German for valley.  It used to be spelled "Thal",
> and that's preserved in some place names.  So either should be
> fine, but Julia's right, one should say "tal".
>       It's like L'Hospital, the French mathematician.  Current
> texts spell his name using the "o with a hat over it" instead of
> an "os".  This is certainly easier on the students, since one
> does not say the "s".  On the other hand, HE spelled it with the
> "os".  So both are right, in various ways.
>

Uh> to me it's like your arguing over what shade of brown.....dirt is.

Dunno about how much you've moved around, but I've seen dirt in colors ranging from a light tan or beige color like _cafe au lait_ all the way to nearly black, not to mention a lot of rich shades of red in areas where there is a lot of iron oxide in the soil. (Around here, you can even buy T-shirts which claim to be dyed with such dirt, though my mother would most likely not have thought that a wise use of money, as when I was growing up and we would go to her parents' farm, she would then spend much time, effort, and money trying to get the red clay _out_ of the clothes I had worn during the visit.)

I hear that a similarly wide variety of colors is found in poop, although I have been fortunate so far not to have personally witnessed some of the more extreme shades possible, the occurrence of which generally suggests a problem somewhere along the passage from intake orifice to outflow orifice.

This Too Shall Pass Maru

-- Ronn! :)

God bless America,
Land that I love!