--- Gautam Mukunda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
>...Custer's Civil War record is pretty
> impressive.  You don't make Major General at 23 by
> accident.  He did that after having _13_ horses shot
> out from under him.  I would describe that as "very
> brave" under any circumstances.

<smart-donkey remark in Mr. Ed's voice>
Brave my haunches!  It was those chargers who ran into
the hail of bullets!  If a horse had 13 men shot dead
off his back, he'd be called a jinx!   ;)

<serious>
While there are numerous accounts of horses' devotion
to their riders, and vice versa, on the battlefield, I
am grateful that 'cavalry' is now mechanized...

Debbi
Yet Planes And Tanks And Even Jeeps Are Named By Their
Human Operators Maru