--- The Fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23375-2003Jun23.html

"...“An integral part of CEF’s evangelical mission is
to locate children who have not yet accepted Jesus
Christ as their Savior,” the school district’s
attorneys wrote. “Requiring teachers to force students
to accept and distribute CEF’s materials would result
in the unconstitutional coercion of the students to
proselytize on CEF’s behalf.”

"The Bush administration brief, submitted by assistant
attorney general Ralph F. Boyd Jr. and three staff
attorneys, said in part: “CEF offers students
educational, cultural, and recreational opportunities
that are similar to activities offered by other
community organizations that submit fliers for
inclusion in the [students’] take-home folders.

"“Through its Good News Clubs, CEF strives to foster
self-esteem in youth and to instill morals and
character in children while providing a positive
recreational experience. . . . That CEF does these
things from a religious viewpoint does not change the
fact that its activities meet the [school] board’s
criteria for inclusion in the take-home folders.”

"The Child Evangelism Fellowship has led a national
movement for the rights of religiously oriented
taxpayers and their children to use public school
property in the same way that other nonprofit groups
do. Attorneys for the group, based in Warrenton, Mo.,
said their fliers are no different than the notices
sent home in Montgomery County backpacks by the Boy
Scouts, the Girl Scouts and the Young Men’s Christian
Association (YMCA)..."

Question:  What would a Southern Baptist have to say
if his/her child came home from school with a flier
inviting the child to 'Join the fellowship of Allah:
follow the adventures of Ahmed and Fatima as they
learn to apply the lessons of the Koran to everyday
life and its problems!  Sign up for Bellydancing and
Sworddancing Classes' etc.

I can hear the righteous screaming now.

I'd object to *any* religious organization attempting
to convert my child from whatever I saw fit to teach
them WRT the Divine And spirituality.  While the Boy
and Girl Scouts do mention God (or at least they used
to), I don't recall Jesus being mentioned
specifically.  And I think while the "Y"s have
religious literature available (and probably classes
too), there is no requirement to use/attend in order
to participate in the sports etc.

I actually have no objection to a religious group
using a public school after-hours, if all religious
groups are allowed to do so.  OK, maybe not the
FreeLove Fishers of Men... ;)

Debbi
Did They Leave Out The Bluebirds Because Of The Faux
Native American* Song? Maru
(*no offense intended; I still remember the song from
my Bluebird days)