At 08:29 PM 6/27/03 +0100, Andrew Crystall wrote:
On 27 Jun 2003 at 13:02, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

> At 06:47 PM 6/27/03 +0100, Andrew Crystall wrote:
> >On 27 Jun 2003 at 8:59, Chad Cooper wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.msnbc.com/news/931163.asp
> > >
> > > "Angry crowds laid the bodies of murdered civilians, attacked
> > > while sheltering in the U.S. diplomatic complex, outside the U.S.
> > > Embassy in Liberia's capital, accusing the United States of
> > > failing to protect Monrovia's people."
> >
> >Didn't you read the "in the U.S. diplomatic complex". If they can't
> >defend the complex, then they need to seal it off, or to evacuate...
>
> And if they *had* defended it, the headlines would read "U.S. Butchers
> Open Fire, Slaughter Peaceful Demonstrators".

Peaceful demonstrators with knives and guns..right.

And yes, I'd rather see a "bloodbath" - rioters killed - than
innocent people dragged to their deaths.

Andy
Dawn Falcon

At 03:58 PM 6/27/03 -0400, Jean-Louis Couturier wrote:
At 13:02 2003-06-27 -0500, Ronn! wrote:
On 27 Jun 2003 at 8:59, Chad Cooper wrote:

> http://www.msnbc.com/news/931163.asp
>
> "Angry crowds laid the bodies of murdered civilians, attacked while
> sheltering in the U.S. diplomatic complex, outside the U.S. Embassy in
> Liberia's capital, accusing the United States of failing to protect
> Monrovia's people."

And if they *had* defended it, the headlines would read "U.S. Butchers Open Fire, Slaughter Peaceful Demonstrators".

Can't Win Maru

-- Ronn! :)

What, you're sad because people don't like you? If that's your biggest problem, I'd say that things are going pretty well. :-p

On a more serious note, I would like to see some action being
taken.  I'd like to see a UN Force get involved.  One has just
gone in Congo with orders to shoot and I want to see Canada get
involved.

Damn it!  People are getting killed and maimed.  Children are
being forced into soldiering and/or sexual slavery.  I need to
stop now.

Jean-Louis "Getting hawkish" Couturier

My earlier comment had nothing to do with whether or not what happened is wrong or whether or not someone should do something about it, including the use of force. The point of my comment was simply that if US troops had used force against the people who broke into the diplomatic complex and murdered civilians who had sought shelter there, the ***very same reporters*** who are now criticizing the US for not protecting the civilians seeking shelter would be condemning the US for using deadly force against what they would without question refer to as "peaceful demonstrators" who were "slaughtered" by the "US aggressors".

(Then there are people like Alberto who hate both the US and Liberia for their system of weights and measures . . . ;-) )

-- Ronn! :)

God bless America,
Land that I love!
Stand beside her, and guide her