Michael Harney wrote:

> Every time I bring up anything related to vegetarianism I get pounced on by
> people acting less than civil.  I learned that I either have to accept that
> behavior from others or simply not bring up the topic.  I don't whine and
> complain that the brin-l isn't my version of utopia where everything I say
> is accepted without any rude replies.  I simply post a reply to rude replies
> saying that I will not discuss the topic with them if they are not willing
> to discuss it maturely and rationally.

Speaking of vegetarianism, I've been wondering for the past couple of
weeks:

How would you get 100-120 grams of protein per day on a vegetarian
diet?  How much of what would you have to eat?

I have a couple of books on pregnancies with twins or higher-order
multiples.  The one that goes into the nutrition issues more thoroughly
basically said that you'd need to start eating meat for the duration of
the pregnancy to get enough protein.  A review of that book on
amazon.com took the author to task for this.  So, I'm wondering, what
would be a good vegetarian diet plan that included this quantity of
protein?

(As for the iron and the calcium, the two other most important things,
at least according to the nurse I'm seeing weekly at the perinatal
group, I'm taking an iron supplement now, and monitoring my calcium
intake and making up what I need at the end of the day with
calcium-fortified orange juice and/or a calcium supplement.  The
supplement is a little icky, so I try to get more calcium at lunch, in
afternoon snacks, and at dinner, so I don't end up needing to drink a
quart of juice or take 2 of the supplement things at the end of the
day.  I need 180% of the normal USRDA for calcium.  And since calcium
and iron each interfere with the absorbtion of the other, I do the big
iron intake in the morning and the calcium later in the day.)

And I'd appreciate it if people who aren't Michael didn't offer any
criticism of me or him on this thread.  Thanks.  :)  Polite unsolicited
advice for me will be read and considered.

        Julia