----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: Spider space elevator? (was: US-based missiles to have
globalreach)

> Can you imagine if steel elevator cables were replaced with
> bungee cords? If a bunch of really large people got into the elevator,
> would the elevator still line up with the floors at each level?

Bad example Erik.
Sounds like you have only a nebulous idea of how elevators actually work.
<G>

Generally a single elevator has 8 cables. Only one is required to support
its rated load. The rest are there for safety.

The cables do stretch over time, but they are not used to "level" the
elevator at each floor. "Leveling" is done with a system of limit switches
and a "flat ribbon" cable that locates each floor for the elevator control
system.

Newer elevator systems do almost all of this electronically. (Elevators tend
to have a very long use cycle. Where I work, the elevators range from 20 to
80 years of usage)

xponent
Agrees With You Otherwise Maru
rob