On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 07:24:01PM -0500, Robert Seeberger wrote:

> I can understand you seeing it that way, but I think the difference
> is in how we each approach the problem. Each of us is engineering an
> elevator using bungee cord for cable. You are engineering it with
> a mind to exaggerate problems because that supports the point you
> originally wanted to make. I am engineering it with a mind to minimize
> those same problems because I can see how it could be done.

Rob, let's recap how you dragged this thread down such a silly path.

I objected to a statement of Chad's that a space elevator would likely
be built 20 years from now.

Debbie posted some numbers and links to studies of spider silk

I posted formulas, materials properties, an article from a respected
scientific journal editor, and links to a number of sites about
materials properties, stress/strain curves, etc. to support my statement
and to answer a question about whether spider silk would be useful to
make a space elevator

I made a comment (illustrated in an obviously silly way) to point out
that designing an elevator out of a rubbery material such as bungees or
spider silk would be difficult, and implied that it would not be the
best choice

You made a number of posts that, as far as I can tell, had no clear
point. It seems to me that at various points you said that:

  - conventional elevators would work fine if steel cables were
    replaced by bungees

  - you could prove this from a URL that discusses only conventional
    elevators with steel cables

  - bungees reach a point where they stop stretching when an additional
    force is applied, which is contrary to physics (and is untrue for ANY
    known macroscopic material, not just bungees)

  - Erik is making the design of a bungee elevator unnecessarily complex
    but that Rob knows how to design a bungee elevator

Fine, Rob, I am calling you on your ridiculous statements. I am awaiting
your plans and specifications for how to build a bungee elevator. Please
include specifications on the material, size, and stress/strain
properties of the rubber or bungee material that you choose for the
cables. If you will not be using a conventional elevator control
mechanism, please include the specifications for the differences between
your bungee control and convention controls.  Since you said you don't
want to be "amateurish" you will no doubt provide cost estimates and
reliability and aging specifications as well.

Unless you can explain how to make a bungee elevator, with
specifications indicating that it will work, your claims are just
nonsense, and this is really a ridiculous argument anyway. It is
apparent to me that you have not really gone through the important
physical and engineering considerations necessary to design such a
structure. No doubt you will claim you could but will have some excuse
why you can't give any reasonable numbers and specifications. Until you
post the plans and specifications, I am done replying to your part of
this thread until then, so make all the excuses you want, excuses will
only make me less likely to listen to you in the future.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/