From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Also, the idea that permitting same-sex couples to form legal civil marriages will somehow negatively impact on heterosexual marriages is the worst kind of hysterical irrationality. Is there some finite number of marriages permitted in the physical universe, so that we can't afford to "waste" any of them on gay couples? Surely the more love the better. Stable, loving, truly consensual unions of well-matched, choosing adults are good for society in general, to say nothing of the people involved.

I think the *real* problem is that the gay marriage opponents have the dreaded "slippery slope" fear that if gay marriage is legiimized, then next will come other gay civil rights, etc., and soon they won't be able to discriminate against gays at all! The horror! (and yes, that's sarcasm, if anyone missed it).