Michael Harney wrote:
I wanted to ask those who have read some/many of the Pern novels a question.
I have only read _Dragonseye_ and _The Dolphins of Pern_. The question I
have is: Are the events in some of the other pern books more epic? Let me
elaborate for clarity. I liked the books, but I found them to be a little
lacking in the end because there never seems to be any grand, exciting
events in the stories. No major climax to the story. Are the other Pern
novels similar, or are there better ones?

I thought _Dragonseye_ was one of the weaker Pern novels, and _Dolphins_ was mostly to clean up loose ends left over from _All the Weyrs of Pern_. _All the Weyrs_ is definitely epic, though.

The Pern stories take place over a lot of different time periods. If you want to read a more-or-less chronologically straight-through story with an epic ending, read _Dragonflight_, Dragonquest_, _The White Dragon_, _Renegades of Pern_ (which goes back to the time of _Dragonflight_ and then skips through the intervening years to just past the end of _The White Dragon_), and then _All the Weyrs of Pern_.

Many Pern fans consider those the core Pern story told over 5 books, and everything else is just filling in the history and backstory. IIRC, _Dragonseye_ takes place several hundred years before the core books.

For the history and backstory books, I'd start with _Dragonsdawn_ which covers the original colonization of Pern and the Harperhall trilogy which Julia mentioned (_Dragonsong_, _Dragonsinger_, and _Dragondrums_), which covers the same time period as the first three core books but from the perspective of a couple of characters who are student Harpers (and as a musician, I think these three books are great).

Reggie Bautista
YMMV Maru