--- Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Deborah Harrell wrote:
>
> > Wind Power : A commentary from Bill Hammack's
> public radio program
>
> > New turbines are so efficient that wind energy
> costs about the same as
> > coal, natural gas or nuclear.
>
> This statement is oversimplifying the issue to a
> huge degree. I've gone
> into detail on the issues involved in calculating
> costs in previous
> posts, so I won't repeat it here...
<snip>

Yes; as a non-mathemetician, I have a really hard time
trying to follow the equations you guys toss around,
so when I find an article that pretty much comes to
the same conclusions but says it in words/images which
I can grasp immediately, I post it for the other
non-numbers folk I assume are out there...(hey, I
can't be the only one!)  :)

> > It's this: You have to build the wind mills where
> there is wind...<snip>
>
> Ah, he does mention some problems, good. Also, some
> of the best areas,
> those areas that are used in the calculation of the
> cost of wind power,
> have already been harnessed for wind in the US...the
>costly requirement of energy storage needed for
> wind-power.
>
> > In addition, wind power differs from fossil and
> nuclear fuels in a
> > critical way: It can supply steady electricity,
> but not a burst of electricity.
>
> What a misleading way of putting it. What he should
> of said is that wind
> power provides "intermittent" or "unpredictable" or
> "not-on-demand"
> or "low-quality" power. In contrast, fossil fuels
> provide "steady" or
> "dependable" or "on-demand" power generation that
> can be increased when needed.

<grin>  Again, I immediately understood: you can't
tell the wind to blow on-command!  (That was a visual)

<snip>
> Not much of a prediction, there, since that is what
> we already have
> NOW.  Overall, a better article on the subject than
> many I've seen, but
> that early statement about the costs of wind and
> coal being equal is extremely misleading.

I think what he was trying to do was show why wind
can't supply a large part of the US' energy needs,
starting with what *does* work, then giving the "bad
news."  It's a style of educating that I have used a
lot with non-medical people when talking about their
problems.  I like his columns b/c they explain, in
non-engineering terms, many technical things - that to
have a *true* knowledge of one needs to have a
grounding in applied physical science - in a way that
even *I* can 'feel' or intuit.

Debbi
who is *sure* that there are other
mathmatically-challenged SF fans out there (but if not
- Shhh! don't tell her!  Let her enjoy her little
fantasy... :}  )