At 09:52 PM 7/28/2003 -0400 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Bush _used_ the sympathy 9/11 generated to make possible
>> something that would not have been possible without it
>> - the removal of Saddam Hussein, something that was
>> clearly not in the interest of anyone in the region or
>> in Europe (save England).  His ability to do that was
>> diplomatic skill of the highest order.
>
>You are kidding about this. We had one true ally in this Britain. The
other are either not major players or are
> anxious to please us (not a bad thing.....

Ahem.   You have forgotten Austalia, who was very much a true ally.   You
have also forgotten Japan, the leader of which essentially got his
country's constitution ammended so that Japan could help us out in Iraq,
and is a major player by any measure.     You have also forgotten Poland,
which is the second-largest country in Europe - which I guess you could
argue is "anxious to please us," but given that Poland is already in NATO
and on the fast-track to the EU, is certainly in a different category than
Bulgaria and Romania.  You have also forgotten the Czech Republic, which is
in a similar situation to Poland, with the exception of being a major
player.   Nevertheless, you have also forgotten Spain - the fourth-largest
country in continental Europe, and is certainly a major player in the
European Union.

JDG