From: "The Fool" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: disinfopedia
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:45:40 -0500

> From: Jon Gabriel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > http://www.disinfopedia.org/wiki.phtml?title=Disinfopedia_Main_Page
> >
> > Welcome to Disinfopedia, a collaborative project to produce a
> directory
> > of public relations firms, think tanks, industry-funded organizations
> and
> > industry-friendly experts that work to influence public opinion and
> > public policy on behalf of corporations, governments and special
> > interests. We are already working on 1614 articles.
>

> The site would have much more credibility in my eyes if it weren't
> associated with PRWatch.  They vilify all PR professionals regardless
of
> merit.

Because _ALL_ PR is Propaganda?  Because all PR professionals are
Propagandists?

Well to answer your extreme answer with a more reasoned response, no it isn't and no they aren't, unless you are referring to the general public as an "institution".

A large portion of the work that PR professionals do keeps the media and by extension the public informed and educated about specific topics and are _not_ aimed at promoting disinformation. For example, almost all of what is released to the public from the scientific community (for example) contains absolutely no 'spin' or hype.

I suppose this will all fall on deaf ears... you seem much more likely to condemn first and not bother to ask questions later, but I suggest you try learning about the industry in all its forms before condemning us as a whole with a single stereotype.

There can be no merit whatsoever in any propaganda
department or in any professional propagandists.

I won't deny that PR people across many fields do influence public opinion and spin stories to place their clients in a better light. Your lack of knowledge of our industry coupled with your own personal biases deserve to be pointed out, imo.

I do not accept your
claim.

As Darwin said, "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." Quite frankly, your acceptance isn't required. You're not speaking from a knowledgeable position regarding the industry, so why should it matter?

Jon

Le Blog: http://zarq.livejournal.com