Michael Harney wrote:

> I'm no longer filtering anymore.  I still don't have much time to
> participate, and am only a quarter through _The Fellowship of the Ring_ but
> I am back.
>
> As for the subject line, it's the closest litterary reference to the topic
> that brought me back.
>
> It seams that, for most autistic people, their digestive tract has
> difficulty breaking down certain food items.  Among these items is wheat
> gluten.  It seams in the breaking down of wheat gluten, it is not broken
> down completely (probably the result of a defective enzyme), and the result
> is that part that is not broken down properly acts like morphine in the
> body.  Yep, eating bread is like popping morphine pills for people with the
> condition.
>
> Based on past experience and the effect that modification of my diet has had
> on me in the last few days, I am fairly certain that I have this condition.
> I have reduced wheat consumption a lot for the last 3 days, and with it have
> experienced what I consider a very improved disposition and much less
> tiredness than I usually feel.  In actuallity, I really hope I do have the
> condition.  It would explain an awful lot of problems I have had and a lot
> of conditions that have bothered me most my life and finally give me control
> over them.  Hopefully, this will mark the end of decades of chronic
> tiredness, emotional problems, obesity (as morphine and its immitators
> profoundly lower metabolism, and I do not consume nearly enough calories in
> a day to maintatin my weight, and yet I do not lose weight), and a miriad of
> other problems.

I'm glad you've figured out something that'll help you (i.e., avoiding
gluten).

I had as a passenger in my car earlier this year someone who went
through the first 10 years or so of his life in a bit of a fog, which he
likened to being on opiates (his having experienced *that* a couple of
times later on).  I've forgotten what got him out of his haze, but he
said it was great to *not* be feeling like that all the time.  (The
other thing he told me about was when it was first determined he needed
glasses, once he was fitted with the right prescription, being able to
see *leaves* on trees; my sister had gone through *that* particular
amazed revelation, as well, so I was familiar with that one already.)

Weird food reactions can do very strange things.  There was a time I
could get intoxicated on milk.  I've mostly been avoiding it, but I had
the same reaction with non-premium ice creams, and more than once, had
to send something back because, contrary to how I'd ordered it, they'd
dumped a scoop of vanilla ice cream on my dessert, and on one such
occasion, I and my lunch companion had to use the word "allergy" about 5
times before the waiter comprehended just what the problem was, that it
wasn't just that I had wanted to get the cake more cheaply.  :P

It *can* make a difference in your life if you figure out that a food is
causing or aggravating a problem, and can get it out of your diet.

        Julia

who has an interesting assortment of food allergies & sensitivities