Thursday, September 4th, 2003
Will Bush Backers Manipulate Votes to Deliver GW Another
Election?

--------------------
As millions of voters prepare to use electronic voting
machines for the first time we take a look at the companies
selling these machines and their ties to the Bush
administration. We speak with reporter Julie Carr Smyth and
author Bev Harris. [Includes transcript]
--------------------
Click here to read to full transcript

--------------------
By Amy Goodman and the staff of Democracy Now!
“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count
the votes decide everything.” --Russian Dictator Joseph
Stalin

September 4, 2003—As millions of American voters prepare to
use electronic voting machines for the first time, questions
about who owns and controls these vote-counting machines are
rife.

In at least two states, companies with very close ties to
the Bush administration are in prime positions to control
the voting systems in the 2004 presidential elections.

In Illinois, Populex is the company that is creating the
electronic voting system for the state. It was recently
revealed that Ronald Reagan’s former Defense Secretary Frank
Carlucci now serves on the company’s five-member Advisory
Board. Carlucci is also the chairman emeritus of The Carlyle
Group, the defense contractor often called the
"Ex-President's Club" because of the high profile partners
and advisors on its payroll. These include key players from
George W Bush’s inner circle, such as former President Bush
and former Secretary of State James Baker III.

Meanwhile in Ohio, Diebold Inc. is one of the companies
vying to sell electronic voting machines in that state.
Diebold and its CEO have strong Republican ties,
specifically to the Bush administration.

A recent article by Julie Carr Smyth in The Cleveland Plain
Dealer reported that the head of Diebold is also a top
fundraiser for President Bush's re-election. In a recent
fund-raising letter Diebold's chief executive Walden O'Dell
said he is "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral
votes to the president next year."

“I think the question that this has raised is, has he
crossed the line?,” said The Plain Dealer’s Smyth on
Democracy Now! “We hear a lot of comments that a C.E.O.
should be allowed to be as politically active as he wants,
he's a businessman, he's allowed to favor the president. But
I think in the business of election systems, the question
is, has this crossed the line?”

“Basically what we have is a company that is giving money,
hand over fist and helping in campaign strategizing for a
particular political party at the same time as making the
machines that count the votes,” said Bev Harris, author of
Black Box Voting: Ballot-Tampering in the 21st Century.

Harris told Democracy Now!: “We now know that the machines
that they're making that count the votes are not secure from
tampering. And add to that, we've got a situation where
everything inside the machines is secret, we're not allowed
the see how they count the votes. So this is not an
acceptable situation.”

Ohio is anticipating spending about $161 million not just on
machines but also on the entire implementation of the new
system. Diebold is one of ten original companies that came
to Ohio to bid for the contract.

In July, O’Dell invited Vice President Dick Cheney to his
house for a fundraiser, which poured $500,000 into Cheney’s
coffers.

On a trip to Ohio, President Bush visited one of Diebold’s
board members - W.R. Timken - who took him on a tour of the
company. Timken, like O’Dell, is a “Pioneer” - the name
given to wealthy Bush benefactors.

According to Harris, a study of the campaign contributions
made by Diebold and its employees revealed an unusual
pattern: Hundreds of thousands of dollars were being
funneled to a few Republican candidates with very little to
any other party.

Harris says that Diebold’s electronic voting machines are
wide open to tampering. “There’s actually several different
methods that we've been looking at. One of the first things
you do when you look at any kind of fraud is look what they
tell you not to look at,” she said.

Harris managed to obtain the source code that is used in
Diebold’s electronic voting system simply by searching the
Internet.

Harris told Democracy Now! that she recently uncovered
another file on the Diebold site that she says “may very
well be the smoking gun that brings this thing down.”

The file, she claims, proves that Diebold has the ability to
keep track of election results as they come in. More
concerning she says technology exists that would allow
Diebold to alter election results.

Diebold has long claimed it does not track votes on Election
Day but Harris said this file of election data from San Luis
Obispo County, California shows otherwise.

“It is impossible for this file to have existed if there
wasn't some sort of illicit electronic communication going
on for remote access,” Harris said.

“It’s against the law to start counting the votes before the
polls have closed. But this file is date and time stamped at
3:31 in the afternoon on Election Day, and somehow all 57
precincts managed to call home add them themselves up in the
middle of the day. Not only once but three times,” Harris
said. “If you have no electronic communications between the
polling places and the main office, how does that happen?
Because what would you literally have to do is to shut down
the polling place in 57 places at once and get in a car and
drive this card into the county office. That's not going to
happen.”

Technically, under the Diebold system that means it is
possible for someone who has access to the system to monitor
the progress of the voting results throughout the day and to
potentially manipulate them.

“You see, a modem is always two way,” says Harris. “If you
can pull the information in, you can also push it back
through the pipeline the other direction. So that means if
they can pull the information in, they can also send
information back into those machines.”

“We've known for some time that this is one of the weakest
areas,” Harris said. “If you have remote communication into
the system at all, that gives you access without physical
access and that's very dangerous.”

Julie Carr Smyth, state government reporter for the
Cleveland Plain Dealer. She has been reporting on electronic
voting machines for the past few months.
Bev Harris, author of Black Box Voting: Ballot-Tampering in
the 21st Century, who uncovered the public internet site
where Diebold’s source code was posted.

--------------------
TRANSCRIPT
AMY GOODMAN: Russian dictator Joseph Stalin once said:
“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count
the votes decide everything.”

Well, as millions of American voters prepare to use
electronic voting machines for the first time, questions
about who owns these vote-counting machines are rife.

One company, Diebold Inc., has been shown to have strong
Republican ties, specifically to the Bush administration.
Diebold is one of the companies vying to sell electronic
voting machines in Ohio.

A recent article by Julie Carr Smyth in The Cleveland Plain
Dealer reported that the head of Diebold is also a top
fundraiser for President Bush's re-election. In a recent
fund-raising letter Diebold's chief executive Walden O'Dell
said he is "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral
votes to the president next year."

In July, O’Dell invited Vice President Dick Cheney to his
house for a fundraiser which ended up raising $500,000 for
Cheney.

JUAN GONZALEZ: On a trip to Ohio, President Bush visited one
of Diebold’s board members - W.R. Timken - who took him on a
tour of the company. Timken, is a “Pioneer” - the name given
to wealthy Bush benefactors.

And a study of the contributions made to Diebold by its
employees revealed an unusual pattern: Hundreds of thousands
of dollars were being funneled to a few Republican
candidates with very little to any other party.

In Illinois, Populex is the company that is creating the
electronic voting system for the state. It was recently
revealed that Frank Carlucci of the Carlyle Group fame is
now advising Populex. The Carlyle Group is a Defense
Contractor often called the "Ex-President's Club" because of
partners and advisors on their payroll, including George
Bush Sr.

Here to talk about the political ties to electronic voting
machines are Julie Carr Smyth, the State Government reporter
for the Cleveland Plain Dealer and Bev Harris, author of
Black Box Voting: Ballot-Tampering in the 21st Century, who
uncovered the public internet site where Diebold’s source
code was posted.

GOODMAN: Julie Carr Smyth can you talk about the letter that
you uncovered?

JULIE CARR SMYTH: Yes, Walden O'Dell shortly after he
apparently, or I should say I have confirmed, was in
Crawford, Texas, at one of Bush's important strategy
meetings came home to Ohio and sent out a letter to his
Republican friends inviting them to a fundraiser coming up
later this month at his mansion in a Columbus suburb of
Upper Arlington.

In the first paragraph was the quote that you mentioned in
which he said, he is committed to helping Ohio deliver its
electoral votes to Bush. And I think the question that this
has raised is, has he crossed the line. We hear a lot of
comments on a C.E.O. should be allowed to be as politically
active as he wants, he's a businessman he's allowed to favor
the president. But I think in the business of election
systems the question is, has this crossed the line.

GONZALEZ: Could you tell us a little bit about Diebold and
its contract, when did it get the contract and how did it
receive the contract?

SMYTH: Actually our contract is held up. Ohio is
anticipating spending about $161 million not just on
machines but on the entire implementation of the new system.

And Diebold is one of ten original companies that came to
Ohio to bid for the contract.

As the field has been narrowed by our secretary of state,
Ken Blackwell who is also a Republican, Diebold has made
every cut. Just yesterday, a judge here said the elimination
of one of those firms was unfair and so the entire thing is
held up at the moment. But they are in the top three that
would divide about $100 million plus in machines around Ohio
to replace punch cards. That is where the contract stands
right now.

GOODMAN: We're also joined by Bev Harris, who we've had on
before, author of "Black Box Voting: Ballot Tampering and
the 21st Century" who uncovered the public Internet site
where Diebold’s source code was posted. Bev Harris, can you
talk further about the connections between the Bush
administration and Diebold?

BEV HARRIS: Well, actually Julie Carr Smyth—by the way she
is one of the really leading reporters in the country on
this matter right now—she has done a marvelous job with
that.

Basically what we have is a company that is giving money,
hand over fist and helping in campaign strategizing for a
particular political party at the same time as making the
machines that count the votes. And we now know that the
machines that they're making that count the votes are not
secure from tampering. And add to that, we've got a
situation where everything inside the machines is secret,
we're not allowed the see how they count the votes. So this
is not an acceptable situation.

SMYTH: You put all three of those things together and I
think it's really starting to worry people. I mean I'm
getting hundreds of Emails and telephone calls of people out
there saying, you know, it just doesn't sound right. And our
secretary of state here has said, well as soon as this judge
takes the gag off of me I'm going to be able to show exactly
how fair and open this process has been. But no one has
actually contradicted the fact that Walden O'Dell and others
within the field, but certainly he has a C.E.O. is out front
being invited to Bush strategy meetings and then coming home
and raising money.

Now one of the things that the Ohio Republican party said—it
was their fundraiser, that he invited folks to at his
home—they have said well, we approached him, he has a very
nice house and he holds a lot of civic functions there and
that he really shouldn't be faulted simply because he
offered his home.

But O'Dell himself has not really come to the phone on this
and I do know that he has also recently been appointed to
the Ohio State University board of trustees, by our governor
who is also a Republican and is doing a fine job of helping
the Republican party here in Ohio.

GONZALEZ: Bev Harris, I'd like to ask you more about—could
you summarize how the tampering can occur with Diebold
system?

HARRIS: Sure. There’s actually several different methods
that we've been looking at. One of the things that's the
most concern and what you do when you look at, by the way,
any kind of fraud, one of the first things do you is look
what they tell you not to look at. Well what Diebold says
not to look at always is we don't have modems, we don’t have
remote communications, we only sometimes use modems, well we
have a wireless card but we don't really use it. There's
this massive, ‘look over here, don't look over there.’

We've known for some time that this is one of the weakest
areas because you see if you have remote communication into
the system at all, that gives you access without physical
access and that's very dangerous.

Now we just yesterday have uncovered a file—it was on the
Diebold site among the 40,000 files and this is an actual
election file containing actual votes on election day from
San Luis Obispo County, California, and this file may very
well be the smoking gun that brings this thing down because
it is impossible for this file to have existed if there
wasn't some sort of illicit electronic communication going
on for remote access.

What happened specifically is—now it’s against the law to
start counting the votes before the polls have closed. But
this file is date and time stamped at 3:31 in the afternoon
on election day, and somehow all 57 precincts managed to
call home add them themselves up in the middle of the day.
Not only once but three times. If you have no electronic
communications between the polling places and the main
office, how does that happen? Because what would you
literally have to do is you would have to shut down the
polling place in 57 places at once and get in a car and
drive this card into the county office. That's not going to
happen.

GONZALEZ: If I can interrupt you, technically that means
that it is possible for someone who have access to that to
have an idea how the vote is going in an election.

HARRIS: Exactly.

GONZALEZ: Then take—adopt tactics to be able to overcome
let's say a losing situation.

HARRIS: Worse than that. Because, you see, a modem is always
two way. If you can pull the information in, you can also
push it back through the pipeline the other direction. So
that means if they can pull the information in, they can
also send information back into those machines.

GOODMAN: Well Bev Harris I want to thank you for being with
us, author of "Black Box Voting: Ballot Tampering in the
21st Century and Julie Carr Smyth, State Government reporter
for The Cleveland Plain Dealer.You are listening to
Democracy Now! back in a minute.